Malteser International Americas is a global humanitarian organization with a mission of supporting the vulnerable and marginalized so that they may live a healthy life with dignity. Through our recently established U.S. headquarters, Malteser International Americas provides immediate disaster response and preparedness as well as vital healthcare and nutrition to vulnerable people in North America, Latin America and the Caribbean.
We are part of Malteser International, the humanitarian relief agency of the Order of Malta. With over 100 projects annually in some 25 countries worldwide, we provide emergency relief after disasters and support recovery efforts, bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and sustainable development. For nearly 60 years, we have been standing by those affected by poverty, disease, conflict and disaster.
- Provide relief in the world’s major emergencies and forgotten crises, helping communities rebuild and recover;
- Establish and promote primary health care services and contribute to better health through improved nutrition and food security;
- Contribute to better health and dignified living conditions by providing access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene;
- Create and operate social programs which help people secure their livelihoods and earn an income, thereby making them less vulnerable and reducing structural poverty;
- Develop and support initiatives that reduce the risks of disaster, especially at the community level.
We are committed to helping all peoples in all parts of the world, without distinction of religion, race or political persuasion. Our work is guided by Christian values and based on the humanitarian principles of impartiality, independence and neutrality. We follow strict, internationally recognized guidelines for humanitarian aid, such as the Sphere Project and the Code of Conduct of the International Red Cross.
In everything we do, our priority is to ensure high quality standards through accountability and transparency.